On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> To the OP.  I would use dracut.  I ran into trouble but I found out
> later that a earlier attempt at a init thingy was causing the dracut
> init thingy to mess up.  I strongly suspect that if I had known to get
> rid of the previous attempt, it would have worked the first time.  My
> previous attempt was the one that was built into the kernel itself.
> Lets just say there was a huge fight and I missed it.  Grub was telling
> one thing to load and the kernel was trying to load something else.  I'm
> sure it was a nice fight.

The principal reason I'm not using dracut:

* sys-kernel/dracut
     Available versions:  ~014-r2!t ~017-r1!t ~017-r2!t ~017-r3!t
~018!t {debug device-mapper dracut_modules_biosdevname
dracut_modules_btrfs dracut_modules_caps dracut_modules_crypt
dracut_modules_crypt-gpg dracut_modules_dmraid
dracut_modules_dmsquash-live dracut_modules_gensplash
dracut_modules_iscsi dracut_modules_livenet dracut_modules_lvm
dracut_modules_mdraid dracut_modules_multipath dracut_modules_nbd
dracut_modules_nfs dracut_modules_plymouth dracut_modules_ssh-client
dracut_modules_syslog net selinux}
     Homepage:            http://dracut.wiki.kernel.org

None of the versions have been marked stable. Genkernel, on the other hand, has.

--
:wq