On Mon, May 14 2012, Michael Scherer wrote:

> in my opinion it isn't. with top posting I see the newest message
> immidiately, while otherwise I need page through sometimes
> huge amounts of mostly obsolete comments.
> where it's possible, I put my messages on top, and I've found
> more than once forum-rules that require or at least recommend
> top posting.
> but I garantee that I will get flames, why I do this and urge me
> to change my habits.
> obviously this is an ingrained habit on gentoo-users, but from
> now on I'm going follow my habits and damn the flames.

You have forgotten that gentoo-user is a valuable archive site.
I keep many old msgs to use much later.  At that point a top to bottom
reading order is preferred.

Moreover, those who are most helpful here all prefer bottom (or in-line)
posting.  If you shun the wishes of a majority of the group and a vast
majority of the most-helpful users, you fate is not flames but
"ignoredom".  That seems to be a poor idea.

Your call
allan