On 16/05/12 13:13, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM, Ignas Anikevicius
> <anikevic...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I was wondering if the following is possible:
>>    - Add a lot of daemons to a newly created runlevel post-default
>>    - Switch to it after the xdm is started (or after some time)
>>
>> I want to do this, so that I do not have to wait while non-crucial
>> services are being started (e.g. fcron, bitlbee, ntpd to name a few).
>> Maybe it is possible to somehow prioritize the initscripts?
>>
>> Another related question is that I come from Arch and there I could just
>> give the *order* of the daemons/initscripts to start and some of them
>> could be started and 'in background'. Is it possible to do that with
>> openrc? I saw the rc_parallel option in rc.conf, but I do not know,
>> whether I need anything else.
>
> Be aware that the rc_parallel option has never been really supported,
> and it actually doesn't appear in the /etc/rc.conf of the one machine
> I have access to that still uses OpenRC.
>
> You may want to try systemd, it sounds like it does (out of the box)
> exactly what you want to.
>
> Regards.

I did know, that this was removed. If I experience problems I'll remove
the option, but maybe I'll remove it all together.

I have systemd installed as I wanted to try, but I do not like the way
everything is managed. I like the idea of simple bash initscripts, which
can be easily extended if needed. I can also write bash scripts, which
configure my system the way I want (i.e. set battery charging thresholds
or something similar).

I do not care for a split second advantage, but I just do not see a lot
of point in waiting for bitlbee to start before xdm so that I might need
maybe a while after I boot into my computer.

Thanks for suggestions to everybody.

Cheers,
Ignas