On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 7:40 AM,  <v...@ukr.net> wrote:
>   Hello!
>
> On Fri, 20 Jul 2012 03:24:42 -0400
> Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>
>> I plan to build a new machine in the next few months:
>> it wb for regular desktop use, but performance is as important as
>> price.
>>
>> A quick look at what was available in April suggested
>> an Intel Ivy Bridge i7 ( 22 nm ) ; Phoronix said it works with Kernel
>> 3.2
>> + an Intel Z77 mobo (I usually buy ASUS) & that power/watt was
>> excellent.
>>
>   If you are considering to buy an Intel CPU, I'd recommend you to pay
> some attention to such Intel' technologies as this one:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge#Intel_Insider_and_remote-control
> because it doesn't looks like an advantage to the end user, but rather
> as a security (or privacy) hole in one's system.

We went through this on this list a couple months ago.

That tech has been part of business-grade laptops and workstations for
a while. It's intended as a tool for a corporate IT department, not
the direct user of the machine.

I'm not saying it's something I'd necessarily like to have on my
personal devices, just that it's not exactly new.
--
:wq