On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
> 120720 Dale wrote to me as OP:
>> If you need help with this, i'd be glad to help you pick parts
>> for your build.  The biggest thing is to make sure things work together.
>
> Thanks for the offer & the other advice from everyone so far.
> I built machines successfully in 2000 2003 2007
> & am still using the last  2 , tho' the 2007 mobo failed (ASUS)
> & its replacement is showing minor bugs (glad I got in-store warranty).
> Therefore, I'm not looking for basic advice how to put a box together.
>
> I'm also willing to pay for a fast upto-date CPU,
> but not of course whatever came out just last week,
> which will soon drop in price & will still need some bugs sorting out.
> I don't have to choose between a good CPU & a good SSD
> & expect to get a competitive price from Canada Computers, as before.
>
> Any further thoughts re Intel vs AMD wb very welcome.
>
> --
> ========================,,============================================
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,   Philip Webb
> ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|   Cities Centre, University of Toronto
> TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'   purslowatchassdotutorontodotca

You'd definitely get more bang for your buck out of AMD, especially
with Gentoo.  It might even be worth waiting for AMD's piledriver-core
CPUs depending on how much of an improvement they actually give,
though I'm not sure when those are supposed to be out.  And paying for
a top-of-the-line AMD CPU is still much cheaper than Intel.

This is a very broad generalization of course, but a lot of it comes
down to multi-threaded (lean towards AMD) vs single-threaded (lean
towards Intel).  Honestly I don't think you'd notice the difference
anyway on a general desktop.  I'd pick AMD, and very likely one of
their APUs if you don't need intense graphics, as they seem to be able
to handle most things well and even some light gaming.