On Tue, 2012-10-30 at 21:26 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:45:37 +0000
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 13:29:43 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >
> > > I'm using wicd-1.7.2.4-r1 and a NetGear DGN2200M v2 wireless AP
> > > (802.11n)
> > >
> > > Several times a day, this thing just drops wireless. I doubt it's my
> > > laptop as other devices in the house also get affected.
> >
> > Have you tried switching to a different channel, just in case it is
> > caused by interference?
> >

> Actually, I hadn't tried that. I use channel 8 and this is at my house.
> I've only ever seen 2 other neighbour's APs show up and they both use
> channel 1.
>
> But then common sense kicked in. All previous APs have been 802.11g,
> this is the first 802.11g, and it sits next to a cordless phone. I
> really should mount the AP up high and extend the cable.

Keep in mind there are only 3 non-overlapping channels in the 11 channel
allocation scheme ... channel 8 is not one of them.  If you have no
neighbours thats fine, but even (perhaps especially because of the
hidden node effect/problem) distant stations can effect your throughput.

Still, that phone you mention must be suspect number 1 :)

BillK