Dale wrote:
> That's been my experience too. I run @preserved-rebuild when it tells
> me to but revdep-rebuild rarely finds anything. Thing is, it has a
> time or two. It is best to run revdep-rebuild and be sure than not to
> and run the risk of not being able to boot or some other problem that
> bites you. Sort of like a ounce of prevention is worth a pound of
> cure. ;-) Dale :-) :-)

Example that revdep-rebuild needs to be run from time to time.

root@fireball / # revdep-rebuild -i -- -a
 * Configuring search environment for revdep-rebuild

 * Checking reverse dependencies
 * Packages containing binaries and libraries broken by a package update
 * will be emerged.

 * Collecting system binaries and libraries
 * Generated new 1_files.rr
 * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
 * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
 * Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 100% ]
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libkmanagesieve.so.4 (no version information
available)
 *   broken /usr/lib64/libkmanagesieve.so.4.9.3 (no version information
available)
 * Generated new 3_broken.rr
 * Assigning files to packages
 *   /usr/lib64/libkmanagesieve.so.4 -> kde-base/kmail
 *   /usr/lib64/libkmanagesieve.so.4.9.3 -> kde-base/kmail
 * Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
 * Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
 * Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
 * Assigning packages to ebuilds
 * Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
 * Evaluating package order
 * Generated new 5_order.rr
 * All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --complete-graph=y --oneshot --with-bdeps y --backtrack=30
--keep-going -v -j10 --quiet-build=n -1 -a kde-base/kmail:4

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R    ] kde-base/kmail-4.9.3:4  USE="handbook kontact (-aqua)
-debug {-test}" 0 kB

Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No]

There's that rare instance right there.  First time in a while too.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!