On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 07:36:10 -0600, Bruce Hill wrote:

> > So you have nothing that needs rebuilding. Portage will warn you when
> > the set is non-empty, telling you to run emerge @preserved-rebuild.
> > There is no need to run it at any other time.
>
> After using Gentoo for close to two years, the only time/place I've
> ever even seen @preserved-rebuild is in this thread. Yet you say,
> "Portage will warn you when the set is non-empty, telling you to
> run emerge @preserved-rebuild."
>
> How will portage do this? An alias 'ud'

A message printed to the terminal at the end of the emerge run...

> alias ud='eix-sync && emerge -aDjNuv @world && dispatch-conf && emerge
> -a --depclean && revdep-rebuild -i && clear && exit'

which is hidden by the output from the subsequent commands.

> is run every morning with my first cup of coffee. If something were
> changed or left off that alias do you suppose this mysterious
> @preserved-rebuild would be run?

It is run when you choose to run it, it never happens automatically
(unless there is a flag I don't know about). You could drop "emerge -a
@preserved-rebuild" into the alias, between the emerge world and
dispatch-conf. There's no harm in running it when it is not needed.

% sudo emerge -a @preserved-rebuild
emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
emerge: no targets left after set expansion

--
Neil Bothwick

Why is bra singular and pants plural?