On 12/11/2012 08:36 AM, Bruce Hill wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 09, 2012 at 04:48:24PM +0000, Neil Bothwick wrote:
>>
>>> workstation ~ # emerge -a @preserved-rebuild
>>> emerge: 'preserved-rebuild' is an empty set
>>> emerge: no targets left after set expansion
>>
>> So you have nothing that needs rebuilding. Portage will warn you when the
>> set it non-empty, telling you to run emerge @preserved-rebuild. There is
>> no need to run it at any other time.
>
> After using Gentoo for close to two years, the only time/place I've ever even
> seen @preserved-rebuild is in this thread. Yet you say, "Portage will warn you
> when the set is [it] non-empty, telling you to run emerge @preserved-rebuild."

It's probably safe to pretend it doesn't exist now. We have a better
solution in EAPI5 -- packages can force their dependents to rebuild
after an upgrade.

It will take a while to transition the whole tree, but if you remember
to complain loudly whenever a libfoo upgrade breaks something, it will
happen. In the meantime, run revdep-rebuild every once in a while.