On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Grant <emailgr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I should have specified that the people in the organization are spread out
>>> in different locations.
>>>
>>> It sounds like it is difficult/dangerous to run an internet-facing IRC
>>> server and ejabberd is unstable?
>>
>> This is what VPNs are for. I haven't really heard anything seriously
>> problematic about ejabberd outside of some folks dislike of adding
>> another language runtime.
>>
>> Whatever you decide to run internally, you're going to need to become
>> knowledgeable in its administration. This is why a fair amount of
>> folks are outsourcing communications infrastructure. Few believe they
>> have the time to learn to manage the thing properly.
>
> Is ejabberd difficult to run over the internet safely?

I doubt it. But you'd want to give the docs a thorough reading to make
sure you have security questions locked down properly. Off the top of
my head...don't allow remote registrations (i.e. don't allow clients
to create accounts). Require SSL/TLS. Always make sure you're up on
the latest security patches.

Beyond that, you'd have to read docs. Which is what a lot of
self-described sysadmins can't be bothered to do.

--
:wq