On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarau...@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 01/11/2013 03:04:01 PM, walt wrote:
>>
>> This seems to me like very happy news indeed, but I'm interested in
>> contrary
>> opinions.  There's a recent thread discussing how udev-197 breaks lvm2,
>> but
>> that's a trivial fix once you know about it.
>>
>> The problem is caused because many apps including lvm2 install their udev
>> config scripts in /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ (where they never belonged in the
>> first place IMO) and they should instead now go in /lib/udev/rules.d/.
>> All you need to do is to re-emerge all of those packages *after*
>> installing
>> udev-197 and the config scripts will go in the correct place.
>>
>> You should do this before rebooting the machine because lvm2 won't work
>> until
>> its udev scripts are in the correct directory.
>>
>> Doesn't this seem to fix the problem with booting a separate /usr
>> partition?
>

> Hi, does anybody know if files in /etc/udev/rules.d  like 10-local.rules
> have to be moved to a different place?

No; check src/udev/udev-rules.c, udev_rules_new(), which starts at 1578:

        rules->dirs = strv_new("/etc/udev/rules.d",
                               "/run/udev/rules.d",
                               "/usr/lib/rules.d",
                               "/lib/rules.d",
                               UDEVLIBEXECDIR "/rules.d",
                               NULL);

/etc/udev/rules.d has always been the first dir scanned for rules
(which means the rules in /etc will override any other rule), and as
far as I know nobody has ever suggested to move or change that.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México