On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:09:56 +0000
Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>
> > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
> > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps,
> > to umount /home
>
> If you logout as your user(s) so only root is logged in, does lsof
> show any hits for /home?

Only 1 hit - a background ssh process that sets up a bunch of tunnels
and port forwards so I can get into the corporate network for anywhere.

But I was not able to make the problem re-appear in short reboot
cycles. So whatever is hanging the box is something that starts up in
the course of work, it doesn't appear to be there directly after a KDE
login.

I might have to look at my work flow closely to find all those unusual
things I do in the course of work. I did manage to see the full
shutdown output on the screen with these tests though - it
umounts /home then umounts /boot, but the second umount message is
never displayed. Seeing as it's just a regular sdb1 partition using
ext2 I don;t really think it's getting stuck as the next step starts
up. It's more likely to have something to do with /home

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com