On Jan 15, 2013 7:59 PM, "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:09:56 +0000
> Neil Bothwick <n...@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:21 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> >
> > > On the rare occasion when I reboot or shut this laptop down, it
> > > continually and consistently gets stuck on one of the final steps,
> > > to umount /home
> >
> > If you logout as your user(s) so only root is logged in, does lsof
> > show any hits for /home?
>
> Only 1 hit - a background ssh process that sets up a bunch of tunnels
> and port forwards so I can get into the corporate network for anywhere.
>
> But I was not able to make the problem re-appear in short reboot
> cycles. So whatever is hanging the box is something that starts up in
> the course of work, it doesn't appear to be there directly after a KDE
> login.
>
> I might have to look at my work flow closely to find all those unusual
> things I do in the course of work. I did manage to see the full
> shutdown output on the screen with these tests though - it
> umounts /home then umounts /boot, but the second umount message is
> never displayed. Seeing as it's just a regular sdb1 partition using
> ext2 I don;t really think it's getting stuck as the next step starts
> up. It's more likely to have something to do with /home
>

> > I had a similar problem with my MythTV backend failing to
> > unmount /var. It turned out that mythbackend was failing to shutdown
> > but openrc carried on trying to shutdown. If I make sure mythbackend
> > really is stopped, the reboot proceeds normally, which is much better
> > since I had to go into the loft to reboot the box manually,
> >

> --
> Alan McKinnon
> alan.mckin...@gmail.com

A bit roundabout, but you can also try making a 'pseudo-service'. Make it
'depend' on a late-stage service so it starts last, and shuts down early.
The stop() part of the pseudo-service should perform an lsof >> a file (in
a directory still available during the last throes of OpenRC like, say,
/etc).

I hope I'm making sense...

Rgds,