On Mon, 21 Jan 2013 13:36:55 -0600
Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I have seen servers run for YEARS with no reboots.  Most of
> those admit, they don't upgrade them at all.  One several years ago
> said he hadn't even blew out the dust in that time.  It was over 5
> years since he even logged into it.  He kept his in a closet.  One of
> those was on the old show TheScreenSavers on Tech TV.

Oh don't get me wrong I have servers with 5 year uptimes too. And they
don't get kernel upgrades, so whatever security fixes have been done in
the past 5 years those machines do not have. Uptime is not a ragging
point anymore :-)

Sadly, I *can't* reboot them. I can only replace them in the hardware
replace cycle - the change manager wants to know from me what the risk
is of doing the change. I tell him honestly there's an elevated risk of
the drives not spinning up and <highly critical system> stops working.

He just smiles and clicks the "deny" button on my change form  :-)

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com