»Q« wrote:
> Peter Humphrey <pe...@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>> My daily update pulled in udev-197-r3. The installation went smoothly
>> but I decided I ought to reboot to check that I could. I couldn't.
>> Udev couldn't start because my kernel config didn't have
>> CONFIG_DEVTMPFS=y. So I booted my rescue system on the same disk,
>> chrooted in and built a new kernel with that option. On rebooting
>> everything was fine.
>
> This got me too.  Now there's a discussion in -dev about making config
> warnings fatal.

Good idea, but as I updated udev yesterday on one of my Gentoo systems,
in the usual after-update messages there was a line in red, telling me
"You don't have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS enabled. udev will not start." So it's
not really a surprise, is it? Hence, I built a new kernel *before*
rebooting :-)

-Matt