On 2013-02-12, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/02/2013 01:24, Grant Edwards wrote:

>> It didn't occur to me until afterwards, but yes, the "new" USE flags
>> did correspond with the change to a 13.0 desktop profile.  I'm now
>> wondering if my 10.0 profile was the non-desktop "generic" one.  When
>> I saw all the "new" USE flags, my assumption was that the USE flags
>> had just been added -- but now I'm betting they were newly enabled by
>> the 13.0 profile.

> That is almost certainly the profile change to 13.0
>
> You had a more minimal profile than a desktop one, and selected a new
> desktop profile. The system then worked as designed and helpfully
> offered you a whole bunch of new stuff. Desktop profiles are designed
> to provide most of what the average desktop user would want.
>
> You are a minimalist kind of guy, right? Basic wm, no frills, no
> semantic-desktop and other integration nonsense?

Yup.

> I recommend you change the profile again to the desktop one's parent,
> probably

I'll give that a try.  Unfortunately, I didn't realize until
afterwards that I had unwittingly (some might same dim-wittingly)
switched from a generic profile to a desktop profile.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Vote for ME -- I'm
                                  at               well-tapered, half-cocked,