On (13/02/13 09:41), Stroller wrote:

> On 13 February 2013, at 09:31, Michael Volland wrote:
> >
> > no Answer but a question:
> > What Computer(s) do you want to use it with?
>
> 1ghz eMac - the old CRT model, but the eMac is larger (has a larger screen)
> than the CRT iMac.
>
> I think it's a G4, it's 32-bit.
>
> Tentatively speaking, I think I'm on the right track, actually.
>
> Having made a final second-guessing-myself attempt with Finnix, it seems like
> the yabootconfig isn't working, but it looks like it's gonna boot using the
> manual Yaboot configuration. IMO this is explained a little poorly in the
> docs (but it is a niche arch, so I'm not complaining).
>
> I hadn't posted back before because it looks like yaboot doesn't support
> ext3, so I'm now having to go back and make a separate /boot partition.

I boot my G5 late 2005 from ext4 with yaboot:
sys-boot/yaboot-static-1.3.16-r1

I don't know anything about G4's, but for me it was, as far as I
remember mandatory to use the static version of yaboot.

(The only useflag "ibm" is set, but probably not necessary)

I use:

~ $ cat /etc/yaboot.conf
## yaboot.conf generated by yabootconfig 1.0.8
##
## run: "man yaboot.conf" for details. Do not make changes until you
#  have!!
##
## For a dual-boot menu, add one or more of:
## bsd=/dev/hdaX, macos=/dev/hdaY, macosx=/dev/hdaZ

boot=/dev/sdb2
device=/ht@0,f2000000/pci@9/k2-sata-root@c/k2-sata@1/disk@0:
timeout=120
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot