On 13 February 2013, at 10:36, Michael Volland wrote:
>> I hadn't posted back before because it looks like yaboot doesn't support
>> ext3, so I'm now having to go back and make a separate /boot partition.
>
> I boot my G5 late 2005 from ext4 with yaboot:

This statement caught me just finished dd'ing a filesystem back into the new
partition, having rearranged everything and created a 100mb boot partition. So
it took me a little while before I could test. Good news: I've got it working,
now. Bad news: because I don't need that separate /boot, and to keep things
tidy, I'm going to have to undo all my repartitioning before I continue much
further.

> sys-boot/yaboot-static-1.3.16-r1
>
> I don't know anything about G4's, but for me it was, as far as I
> remember mandatory to use the static version of yaboot.

Ah, I had installed sys-boot/yaboot (I think that's what the manual suggested)
and it has now started booting from my ext4 filesystem.

I saw a message about being unable to load VFS, about sda5 not being found, and
then something about "hd:" repeated a few times.

I commented / changed my yaboot.com thusly:

  image=/boot/vmlinux-3.5.7-gentoo
    label=Linux
    #root=/dev/sda5
    root=/dev/hda5
    partition=5
    read-only

ran `ybin -v` and, on reboot, it worked!

I find it a little strange to be using "hdX" rather than "sdX" now, but I think
that's it sorted.

It also seems strange that yaboot and yaboot-static differ in this syntax, but
I don't care enough to investigate.

Stroller.