On 04/24/2013 10:26:52 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

SUSE are using btrfs in SLES, so it can't be that experimental or unstable
any more.

That depends on the version of the kernel in use. I remember having lost all data of a btrfs file system with an early 3.x kernel. Meanwhile there have been quite a lot of patches to btrfs. With the more recent kernels (>= 3.6 I believe) this hasn't happened any more.
I'd recommend kernel 3.8.x, at least (I'm running 3.9_rc7)

I remember that only last week,
 /sbin/btrfsck --repair <DEVICE> failed with some spurious error on a
btrfs file system which happily turned out to be just OK. Note, that I emerge the GIT sources of btrfs-progs whenever I install a new kernel (each week in the last 7 weeks).

So, as of now, I wouldn't rely on btrfsck doing a good job.
But my btrfs file systems survived quite a few power losses without the need to
btrfsck them.

Helmut.