On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 12:22:36PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote
> >> Where have you been for the last ten years?
> >
> > Reading this list & various Linux news sites.
> >
> >> A quick search of this list's archives will reveal several.
> >
> > If it's so easy, please point me to a couple (smile).
> >
> > The only one mentioned in this thread so far
> > is a strange case of trying to use a RF image on a RF,
> > which most users will never have any occasion to encounter.
> >

> It /used to be/ rare.
>
> But ever since vmware-workstation has been around and available
> to Linux users, it has become a much more serious issue at large,
> and you need to be aware of it.
>
> It's one of those issues that is not immediately obvious, where
> overlooking it is not a classic screwup and where it can bite you
> hard if you are not careful. We can't blame any of the software for
> this, it's just a side effect of the way things are nowadays

  I don't know if it's configurable somewhere, but I vaguely recall
seeing an occasional bootup where I get a message about the system
having gone more than X days without being fsck'd.  So it helpfully
does it for me automatically and then does a regular reboot.  I don't
know if it's for the 200 megabyte ext2 / or the huge ReiserFS3 /home
partition.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>