On 04/24/13 07:11, J. Roeleveld wrote:
On Wed, April 24, 2013 00:16, Joseph wrote:
On 04/23/13 20:10, J. Roeleveld wrote:

<SNIP>

I am guessing Apache is running on the same machine as your Postgresql
server?

In this case. The connection will always originate from localhost and
Postgresql is behaving as it should.

You will need to secure access to the website to avoid people accessing
it.

Yes, every machine I run has apache on it, so  Postgresql server runs on
it as well.
If I'm connecting from another network machine to a server, how does it
originate from localhost?

Something is not correct.

I'll try to explain.

When you connect to the website (Apache) the connection Apache sees
originates from your machine.

When Apache then needs to access PostgreSQL to access the data needed for
the website, Postgresql sees the connection originating from Apache, which
is running on the same machine.

--
Joost

Thank you for explanation.

That is what I'm confused about.  When I connect to "pstgresql" database from
the same machine as postgres is running on I can understand.
It is a local connection from localhost (127.0.0.1) so everybody is allowed but I don't understand why users on the local network can connect to my machine and login using apache when their IP is different.

--
Joseph