On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:44:54 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> Reading between the lines shows Walter doesn't want to use fdisk to deal
> with a GPT disk.
>
> He has a regular partitioned disk that was once GPT, and some remnants
> of that are left around confusing fdisk. He wants the remnants to go
> away and needs to know what bit of the disk to dd and make that happen.
>
> I don't know the answer to that.

That's not quite how I read it, but... gdisk has an option to completely
erase both GPT and DOS partition tables. Why anyone would choose to use
the ultra-kludged DOS partition tables when GPT is so much more elegant is
beyond me, unless they have old hardware that can't read a GPT disk.

--
Neil Bothwick

OS/2: Obsolete Soon, Too