On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 1:54 PM, Stroller
<strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 31 July 2013, at 19:09, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Stroller
>> <strol...@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hmmmn, it's a bit freaking weird - if I'm understanding correctly some of
>>> the statements made here about systemd - that there will be files installed
>>> to /etc/init.d/ that don't actually do anything.
>>
>> If you use systemd, all the files installed in /etc/init.d (except
>> functions.sh) don't actually do nothing.
>
> Right, which is a bit freakin' odd, because on most every previous distro and
> other *nix system, that's where the system administrator goes to start and
> stop services.
>
> If they're not used, in this case, I don't think they should be installed.
>
> /etc/init.d is wholly different from /usr/share/package-name/examples
>
> There are many other directories on the system where it's no problem to have
> some idle, unused, "wasted" files, but /etc/init.d has long been an important
> directory.

That was one of the reasons I started the gentoo-systemd-only overlay;
if you used systemd, and tried to run "/etc/init.d/whatever start",
the results would vary from "annoying" to "catastrophic".

Nowadays you get the following warning:

 * You are attempting to run an openrc service on a
 * system which openrc did not boot.
 * You may be inside a chroot or you may have used
 * another initialization system to boot this system.
 * In this situation, you will get unpredictable results!
 * If you really want to do this, issue the following command:
 * touch /run/openrc/softlevel

So it's pretty harmless. I believe the same applies for the files in
/etc/init.d (or /usr/lib/systemd/system) that for the files in
/etc/cron.daily, or /etc/bash_completion.d.

They should be installed unconditionally. If you don't like it,
INSTALL_MASK'd them.

Regards.
--
Canek Peláez Valdés