On 07/31/2013 02:05 PM, Michael Palimaka wrote:
> On 1/08/2013 04:34, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> It seems a little rude to pop in, address them personally, and ask them
>> each if they'd devote months of their time towards mentoring me. (Doing
>> so can pressure someone into agreeing to something he doesn't want to
>> do, or makes him reject you personally which many people find awkward.)
>
> I definitely understand that. I wonder if it would help if we had a page
> where developers could register their interest in being a mentor.

I think that'd be a great idea. If each developer could state where
their interests/expertise laid and what type of dev they'd be interested
in mentoring, that could make the selection process more natural for
both prospective devs and established devs.

The problem I have is I don't know what I'd want to work on. I love vim,
tmux, and fluxbox, but I believe they already have capable maintainers.
I'm learning C and Python, and know PHP, so there's probably a bit I
could learn about C and Python. And my competency in PHP may qualify me
for some packages. Which ones, I don't know.

Overall I just can't think of a reason for Gentoo to take me.