2013/8/28 Michael Hampicke <m...@hadt.biz>

> Am 27.08.2013 22:40, schrieb Francisco Ares:
> >>
> >> I think I might have found it.  Although I have selected in the kernel
> >> "menuconfig" to compress the initramfs using gzip and deselected all
> other
> >> decompression forms. a simple "file initramfs-xxx" told me that it was
> "XZ
> >> compressed data", so now I am rebuilding the kernel with all
> decompression
> >> algorithms built in.
> >>
> >> I will (hope) soon post the results.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Francisco
> >>

> > It did not work :-(
> >

> You could try generating an initramfs with dracut - see if that works.
> You possible have to change the name of the initramfs in grub.cfg. Files
> generated with dracut don't have *genkernel* in it's filename.
>
> If you can boot with dracut initramfs, you can investigate why the
> initramfs of genkernel does not work.

Thanks, Michael, gonna read about dracut and try it out.

Right now "gentoo-sources-3.10.7" is being built, still using genkernel (I
was using gentoo-sources-3.8.13).

Meanwhile: the profile for this new install is
"default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib" - and I see that the directory where
grub2 stores modules in /boot/grub2 is named "i386-pc".  Switching to a
multilib profile and issuing an "emerge -pvuDN world", I see that, for
instance, glibc is queued to be rebuilt with "multilib" use flag.

What I mean is: does genkernel uses the binaries already available in the
filesystem it works on, or does it build its own ones?  If so, is genkernel
+ grub2 compatible with a "no-multilib" profile?  I guess so, specially
after reading grub2 documentation, but, on the other hand, in a working
system, I could see that busybox from the initramfs (thanks, Neil!) and the
one in the root filesystem are different.

Thanks again!
Francisco