Am 14.09.2013 11:29, schrieb Grant:

>>> If I make this 6x SSD RAID10 with redundant power supplies, what is my
>>> weakest link as far as hardware?  If a CPU craps out, will the system
>>> keep running?
>>
>> Your weakest link is not having redundant power feeds. Two PSUs doesn't
>> help much when they both draw power from the same place :-)
>
> At Soft Layer redundant power supplies are actually powered by
> redundant power feeds.
>
>> Second is inadequate cooling in the data centre
>
> Easy to monitor though.

True, it's easy to monitor. But that does not help you in case of
cooling. I had that case once a few years back in july. Air condition
_and_ backup air condition fell out in the offsite data center where we
had some server.

I still have the munin image from that day. Almost 70° c hot hard drives
are not a pretty sight :-)

And there's nothing you can do, except shutting down the server and wait
until the refrigeration engineers have fixed the air conditioning.