On 14/09/2013 13:34, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2013-09-14 5:10 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 14/09/2013 10:59, Grant wrote:
>>> If I make this 6x SSD RAID10 with redundant power supplies, what is my
>>> weakest link as far as hardware?  If a CPU craps out, will the system
>>> keep running?
>
>> Your weakest link is not having redundant power feeds. Two PSUs doesn't
>> help much when they both draw power from the same place :-)
>
> Right... so get two (high quality online UPS's, and plug one PS into one
> UPS and the other into the other UPS.

Grant is looking at renting hosting space in someone's data centre. No
such company is ever going to let him buy rack space to install his UPSs
- rack space is far too valuable for that.

> Most hosting providers have generator backups, so as long as you
> buy/specify high quality UPS's, you should be fine.

You aren't reading between the lines I've been hinting at :-)

All decent providers claim redundant power feeds with battery/generator
backup. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about which connector
the electrician connects which wire to.

The number of stories I hear about THAT going wrong are frightening

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com