On 14/09/2013 11:29, Grant wrote:
>> Everything else is a distant concern. When did you last hear of a CPU
>> > failure anywhere at any time? CPUs do not fail for the most part. When
>> > they do it's because everything else got hot which brings us back to #2
>> > in the list.
> I had one fail a number of years ago but I do think it was because of
> heat.  Plus I think that was in my overcl0cking days.  Out of
> curiosity though, would the system continue if I were to lose a CPU
> and it didn't fry anything?

That's an interesting question and I honestly don't know the answer -
I've never had a cpu fail on me in over 30 years :-)

If we are lucky, someone might have experienced it and pipe up as to
what happened. And I'm sure someone does regular testing on
hot-pluggable cpus by popping one out and monitoring the results. I have
no knowledge though

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com