On 11/02/2013 12:04 PM, hasufell wrote:
> Another round of questioning the users here.
>
> more specifically:
> * how often do you experience useless rebuilds?
not enough to notice, mostly using server based installs not desktop
> * do you really have a problem with running
> revdep-rebuild/haskell-updater/perl-cleaner etc after every emerge?
only ever used to run revdep rebuild if things were broken, and while
now i'm a little more aware of this kind of thing suddenly finding that
x program doesn't work due to bad library can be scary; especially if
you rely on x program.  preserved build was a genius idea if you ask me
as this at least allows things to continue working
> * do you think it's worth the effort to add more stuff to the PM, so
> that you don't have to run revdep-rebuild that often?
with preserved rebuild there is at least notification that revdep
rebuild is needed; as a noob i didn't realise the significance of the
program quite so much, expecting portage to just take care of dependencies.
> * do you trust the other methods like subslots or preserved-rebuild to
> work reliably? (as in: do you still use revdep-rebuild?)

subslots to me just work like magic and i'm content for the moment to
allow them to remain a mystery to me.  looking at other responses i'm
glad i'm not the only one(!) i get it on the surface but have never
played with them so don't fully understand.   as i said earlier
preserved rebuild is great because a) you get notification of
revdeprebuild requirement and b) things don't break after upgrade
> If you want my opinion on subslots:
> # grep EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS /etc/portage/make.conf
> EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y"

/me politely requests more info and goes to google to find some too