Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 14:54, Martin Vaeth wrote:
>> (I am guessing this only from the outputs which are posted):
>>
>> When portage detects that it cannot resolve something after
>> backtracking, it dies.
>
> That by itself is good info.
>
> The conflict that portage couldn't resolve, is it the first one in the
> printed list, or the last?

I never looked at the algorithm, it is only a guess from the output.
So I do no know the answer, and it does not matter, because every
conflict which portage detects might be related to the actual cause
or not: The algorithm with branch-cutting did not resolve the conflict,
so every inconsistency which is left might or might not be related
to the real obstacle which the user wants to remove.
Most likely this obstacle is higher in the tree than the place where
the conflict occurs (otherwise portage could resolve it or make
a suggestion how to resolve it).
In my experience, something related with the actual obstacle occurs
rather late in the output or not at all.