Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that you didn't read the whole post fully, and have
> cherry-picked a part that you think bolsters your position.

I do not think that I have a position here.
Subslots solve some problem.  If they cause inconveniences
like portage needing too long or frequent reemerges,
these issues should be attacked separately.

> I've run emerge -e world with the result of correcting something perhaps
> 2 or 3 times in 8 years.

You *realized* the necessity 2-3 times in 8 years.
For a production system one usually does not want an unrecognized
breakage ever.

> In effect subslots appear to fix something for me about once a year.

Given that on a production system you would have something
seriously broken once a year which is not the case with
subslots, I would say they have reached their goal.

> So now we have a rather large complex system

It is not complex at all: Except taking the dependency string
directly from the metadata it is before modified with information
from /var/db, and during merging the corresponding information
is stored in /var/db. Nothing magic is going on.

I think there is mainly a perception problem:
Whenever there is a problem with dependencies now subslots
are blamed, because they are shown by portage first.
In my experience, all these problems were just "usual" dependency
problems which just happen from to time and will always happen -
not related with subslots at all.

> Consider for a moment the maintenance burden imposed on ebuild
> maintainers

If your package provides a library and you bump the version
you also bump the subslot except if you happen to know for
sure that the library remains ABI-compatible. If you are short
on time this is a matter of seconds, if you are more careful
and want to do an excellent work you can remember
upstream's policy to save the user from an unnecessary rebuild.

> and how sub-slot notation is essentially added by humans
> deploying human brains. And remember that humans are notoriously bad at
> using mathematically correct solutions (they ... err ... forget to do
> stuff).

Yes, somebody might make a mistake and forget to bump
or do an unnecessary bump. So what? All sort of
mistakes can happen everywhere which can lead to all sort
of problems.

> I predict once a week fallout from sub-slots induced bugs that was
> intended to fix once a year problem.

Let's see: Forgetting to bump a subslot means that the purpose of
subslots for that package fails. A problem, but not worse than
without subslots. Bumping unnecessarily means that perhaps some
packages are rebuilt unnecessarily. Also not something dramatic.
Even if this *should* happen once a week (which I strongly doubt;
more realistic is once in a few months) nothing dramatic happens.