Sascha Lucas wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Machine B:
>   - mount PGKDIR of machine A via nfs to PGKDIR on machine B
>   - added USE-flag "samba"
>   - emerge -uD --newuse --usepkg world
>     * merges binary samba
>     * does not merge anything else (no binary, no ebuild )
>
> It would be nice if I understand why emerge won't remerge binary packages
> with changed use-flags.

Hi Sascha

If you do --pretend --verbose, does it show the changed USE flags for
the packages?  Not sure if 'world' does this, but you could try the
individual packages that you expect to be rebuilt.  IIRC, it appears in
green (on a colour screen...) with a + and * next to the USE flag.

If the flags aren't shown as 'new' then its not strictly a problem with
the merge, but one with the way the flag changes are being enumerated.

If they are shown as changed then at least Portage is working out that
it would like to have new builds of the packages, and any failure is
presumably due to the way this cascades down to the binary merge
mechanism, such as the ability of a binary package to declare what USE
flags it was built with.

Not a solution, but hopefully it'll add insight.

IanC