Am 26.01.2014 18:42, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
> On 26/01/2014 17:24, eroen wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 16:35:43 +0200, Nikos Chantziaras
>> <rea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Anyone else noticed this yet? Some portage update seems to have made
>>> "emerge -uDN @world" perform about 10 times slower than before. It
>>> used to take seconds, now it takes about 4 minutes only to tell me
>>> that there's nothing to update. And it does that every time, even
>>> directly in succession and with the caches warm.
>>>
>>> Is it just me?
>> You don't say when your baseline was, but the complexity of resolving
>> the package tree has increased quite a bit over the last year due to
>> new features like automatic rebuilds of consumers after library updates.
>>
>> Another somewhat common cause of sudden slowdowns is how portage
>> resolves conflicts (like packageA requiring an old version of libraryB),
>> which is rather time-consuming. You can try adding --backtrack=0 to the
>> emerge command to make it stop and print an error message when
>> encountering a conflict rather than look for a solution. Then you can
>> 'help' out by manually resolving any conflicts by adding package
>> versions to /etc/portage/package.mask . Preferably try this *after*
>> running an update, so your system is up-to-date against your local
>> version of the gentoo tree, otherwise "normal" simple-to-resolve
>> conflicts might cause confusion. ;-)
>>
> I've been noticing these slowdowns for a few months now too. I'm
> somewhat conflicted in my head about them, as unresolved blockers is now
> something that happens very rarely. How often did we do this in the past:
>
> emerge -avuND world
>   stare at output trying to figure out wtf?
> emerge -C <some problem package>
> emerge -avuND world
>   emerge problem package back if world update didn't already do it
>
> That used to happen A LOT, and it took much longer than 4 minutes.
> Nowadays it happens seldom but the resolution does take 4 minutes.
>
> So I dunno, it's annoying to have to wait, but it also prevents a lot of
> wasted time by doing what software can do so well - detecting dependency
> issues.

I disagree with you here. You still get a lot of unresolved blockers and
other problems you have to deal with manually AND portage is unbearable
slow now.

It never was really fast - back in the day pkgcore run cycles around it,
too bad it has died a slow death.

Now you get a really slow portage, making updates an horrendous
experience plus most of the same old breakage.

The situations is really really bad.