On 03/02/2014 16:04, Pandu Poluan wrote:

> On Jan 28, 2014 5:57 AM, "Neil Bothwick" <n...@digimed.co.uk
> <mailto:n...@digimed.co.uk>> wrote:

>> > That's exactly what I was saying. I was talking about speed, not
>> > efficiency.
>>
>> But the efficiency of the algorithm, and the language, affects the speed.
>> You can't presume "it does more, therefore it takes longer" if the two
>> programs do things in very different ways.
>>

> I was thinking: is it feasible, to "precalculate" the dependency tree?
> Or, at least "preprocess" all the sane (and insane) dependencies to help
> portage?

I thought that's what the portage cache does, as far as it can.

True, the cache reflects the state of the tree and not the parts of the
tree a given machine is using, so how big a diff does that give? And
don't forget overlays - they can slow things down immensely as more
often than not there's no cache for them unless the user knows to do it
manually.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com