On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/04/14 18:03, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Joseph <syscon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is it possible to go from "systemd" to "udev"?
>>>
>>> I don't like the way systemd works.  I have a problem with mounting USB
>>> sick
>>> (it mounts as root:root) and I can not even change the permission.
>>> I am receiving Hylafax fax transmission reports (email) on all incoming
>>> faxes and now these emails are empty.
>>> It all start happening after switching to systemd :-(
>>

>> If I'm not mistaken, systemd/udev doesn't mount removable devices by
>> default, it just notifies the system about new volume and creates
>> links under /dev/disk. In GNOME 3 udisks is the one doing the actual
>> mounting (AFAIU); with GNOME 2 it was gnome-volume-manager, etc.
>>
>> What DE do you use? Are you using something like pmount?
>>
>> Regards.
>> --
>> Canek Peláez Valdés
>> Posgrado en Ciencia e Ingeniería de la Computación
>> Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>

> I'm using XFCE It all started to happen after I switched to systemd.  So
> maybe on the weekend I'll try to switch one of the machine back to udev.
> I think all I need is to unmerge "systemd" and emerge "udev" without
> rebooting.

As others have said, udev *IS* systemd. It's the same code and
configuration [1].

And if you don't reboot after uninstalling systemd (while having
booted with it), I don't think your system will stay stable for much
longer.

I see that thunar depends on gvfs, which can use udisks or
gnome-disk-utility. Which one do you have? What does portage it says
when you do:

emerge -pv gnome-base/gvfs

If you have the gdu USE flag enabled, I recommend switching to udisks.
It's possible that it will fix everything, but I have never used Xfce,
so I'm not certain.

Regards.

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/udev
--