On 16/02/14 23:28, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 16/02/2014 20:11, Samuli Suominen wrote:

>>> I don't know much about systemd, I do know openrc.
>>>
>>> Thus far, the only real actual benefit I have seen of systemd that is a
>>> real issue that really affects me is consolekit. It's not exactly the
>>> best piece of software out there, comparable to HAL and how it was
>>> replaced by udev. So systemd replaces and fixes consolekit by providing
>>> logind.
>> ConsoleKit works just fine for the features it advertises to have, where
>> as HAL never did,
>> so I really don't know what you are referring to?
>
> It's a poor design. It's also unmaintained currently.

How long has it been since Debian decided to go with systemd? Like, three?
So, up until three days ago I would have disagreed since despite original
upstream ditching ConsoleKit, it was still being maintained by Debian and
Gentoo maintainers (me) and last release, 0.4.6, was in fact a result of
that.

But still, the fact that there is no more active development, doesn't mean
it's obsolete. It still works fine as it ever did and there has been no need
to cut any of it's features for any reason.

Since logind works only on systemd, ConsoleKit is nothing less than what
dhcp-client is to dhcpcd. So, it's definately not 'deprecated', or
'obsolete'.
I call it 'mature'.

Many BSDs still use it, and with Xfce upstream including a OpenBSD
developer,
and Xfce's commitment to keeping it working with BSDs in otherway too,
I'm not worried about it becoming one of these nasty words of
'unmaintained',
'deprecated', 'obsolete' and co. even if I didn't do the legwork myself.

So no, we don't get to blame ConsoleKit for any of this what has been
happening.
Take my word for it, it's not going to go anywhere from Portage anyday soon.

But OK, it's a bit off-topic to this thread, I'm just getting ugly itch
when people
are so eager to call it anything else than mature despite it still
working fine.

- Samuli