On Tue, February 18, 2014 15:37, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:54 AM, J. Roeleveld <jo...@antarean.org> wrote:
>> As I do not have systemd installed on any machine, I can't check the
>> man-pages.
>
> They are online [1].

Useful, but not necessary for this discussion.

>> But, if that is the only method to get parseable text from journalctl,
>> then that is less then useless.
>
> I only put that option as tongue-in-cheek, since someone complained
> about not being able to "cat" the logs. Many more options are
> available.

I see this option as a easter-egg without any real value. How many of
these useless code-paths are implemented?
Can these be disabled at compile time?

>> I would expect an export option providing the same detail level as I
>> currently find in /var/log/messages.
>> A timestamp is a minimum required for logging system output.
>
> Everybody agrees with that; that's why the journal supports a lot of
> formatting options. From [2]:

<SNIPPED man-page>

> So you can have the default; journalctl -b | head:
>
> -- Logs begin at Tue 2013-09-24 13:39:03 CDT, end at Tue 2014-02-18
> 08:28:44 CST. --
> Feb 10 09:50:37 centurion systemd-journal[371]: Runtime journal is
> using 712.0K (max 198.0M, leaving 297.1M of free 1.9G, current limit
> 198.0M).
> Feb 10 09:50:37 centurion systemd-journal[371]: Runtime journal is
> using 716.0K (max 198.0M, leaving 297.1M of free 1.9G, current limit
> 198.0M).

<SNIPPED log examples>

> See if you can easily do that with rsyslog or syslog-ng.

Not easily, but I do not see the point, beyond as a nice gimmick.
Same question applies, can I disable these code-paths during compile-time?

I have log-parsing scripts that check for unexpected log-entries which
expect syslog-standard logs.
I do not see the need to have to spend time to change working code to be
able to handle different formats.

Additionally, the use of "tail -f" and "grep" allows me to check the logs
real-time for debugging purposes.
Having to use a seperate tool that converts some proprietary binary format
to human readable/scriptable single-line logs makes no sense.

It all sounds too much like the MS Windows Event-viewer to me.
Too many events with no usefull logging information (And I am referring to
OS-level messages as to why default services are not starting)

--
Joost