On 16/04/2014 18:14, Stroller wrote:

> On Wed, 16 April 2014, at 4:52 pm, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> There is no such indication in that reply. That is up to you to decide.
>
> Well, I posted here looking for useful answers and perhaps a full explanation
> (like, of how this is needed beyond the system logger), not vapid one-liners.
>
> I guess I'll just file a vapid-one bug that my Gentoo system is generating
> these cron messages, rather than first trying to come to a understanding of
> the cause. Would that make the developers' lives easier?
>
> Stroller.

mce is Machine Check Exception; it's a hardware trickery that watches
for and records faults in hardware.

Consider something like Dell's fancy monitoring softwares, the results
don't magically appear in syslog - you use Dell's client app to query
the hardware, figure out what the bits means then you can look-see what
is going on. mcelog is sort of in the same class of software, but it's a
generic interface.

You don't *have* to use it, the machines will run just fine without it.
You will lack some monitoring though that could be useful - that's your
call.

As for the cron job files, by all means file a bug. At a minimum you'll
get an answer as to what the dev thinks about that deprecation status.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com