On 17.04.2014 17:49, Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 17 Apr 2014 15:40:04 Matti Nykyri wrote:
>> On Apr 17, 2014, at 9:10, Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> You have not explained your PKI set up.  Creating a new private
>>> key and CSR is just another private key and CSR.
>>>
>>> If you replace either the private CA key on the server, or any
>>> of its certificates chain, but leave the path in your vhosts
>>> pointing to the old key/certificate that no longer exist you
>>> will of course break the server. Apache will refuse to restart
>>> and warn you about borked paths.

>>> Yes, better be safe with production machines.  However, don't
>>> take too long because your private key(s) are potentially
>>> already compromised.

>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_secrecy
>>>
>>> I'm no mathematical genius to understand cryptography at
>>> anything more than a superficial level, but I thought that
>>> ECDS, that PFS for TLS depends on, was compromised from
>>> inception by the NSA?  Perhaps only some ECDS were, I am not
>>> really sure.
>>
>> I don't know anything about ECDS. You probably mean ECDSA?! What
>> i have understood is that ECDSA is not compromised. Though I can
>> not be certain about that.
>>
>> RSA has been in the market for a long time and the mathematics
>> are for what i think a bit simpler. But with compromised software
>> there was a bad algorithm for creating the primes. So it was the
>> keys not RSA it self. But I think the thing that you are talking
>> about is DHE_RSA... I read from somewhere that it was quite
>> compromised.. But ECDHE is not. The difference with DH and DHE
>> (ECDH and ECDHE) is that DH uses static keys and DHE
>> authenticated ephemeral keys. These temporary keys give you
>> forward secrecy but decrease performance.
>>
>> RSA takes quite heavy computing for the same level of security
>> compared to ECDSA. RSA key creation is even more costly so using
>> ephemeral temporary keys with RSA takes quite long to compute.
>> Thats why I prefer ECDHE_ECDSA suites for reasonable security and
>> fast encryption.
>>
>>> I remember reading somewhere (was it Schneier?) that RSA is
>>> probably a better bet these days.  I'd also appreciate some
>>> views from the better informed members of the list because
>>> there's a lot of FUD and tin hats flying around in the post
>>> Snowden era.
>>
>> For high security application I would also use RSA in excess of
>> 16k keys. Then make sure to use random data and a trustworthy
>> key-generator. Fighting the agencies is still something I believe
>> is virtually impossible ;)
>
> Thanks Matti,
>
> Can you please share how you create ECDHE_ECDSA with openssl
> ecparam, or ping a URL if that is more convenient?

I don't think you realy want DSA, but here it is for DH, EC and DSA:

openssl genpkey -genparam -algorithm DH \
    -pkeyopt dh_paramgen_prime_len:4096 \
    -out /path/dh_params.pem
openssl genpkey -genparam -algorithm EC \
    -pkeyopt ec_paramgen_curve:secp384r1 \
    -out /path/ec_params.pem
openssl genpkey -genparam -algorithm DSA \
    -pkeyopt dsa_paramgen_bits:1024 \
    -out /path/dsa_params.pem

- --
Kind Regards,                             Mit freundlichen GrĂ¼ssen,
Markus Kohlmeyer                                   Markus Kohlmeyer

PGP: 0xEBDF5E55 / 2A22 1F71 AA70 1AD1 231B 0178 759F 407C EBDF 5E55