Mick wrote:
> On Friday 18 Apr 2014 15:27:12 Dale wrote:
>>

>> On this topic about NSA, I read a article that claimed the NSA was able
>> to view httpS traffic live or close to live since they had some backdoor
>> access keys.  I don't recall where the article was but since this is a
>> knowledgeable bunch, is this true?  If for example I go to my bank or
>> credit card website, can they "easily" view that traffic?
>
> If your bank was using certain versions of openssl over the last two
years,
> then *any* attacker who knew of the heartbleed bug would have been
able to
> steal the private key of the server and decrypt all communications
with it.
> It is rumoured (but could be FUD) NSA are likely to have known of this
> vulnerability for at least since November 2013.

I'm a little vague on some things but it seems the claim was that NSA
had some sort of backdoor that was built in from the beginning of the
project for encryption which sounded like it would include httpS and
others.  Again, the details are fuzzy.  I would say that I need to
bookmark this sort of thing but I already have so many bookmarks that it
is very hard to dig through them as it is.  Adding more may be
counterproductive, yet again.

>> One reason this jumped out at me was that in the article, it was claimed
>> that a group of people was going to rewrite the code/software/whatever
>> for httpS and other encryption tools.
>>
>> If someone has links to such info for me to read and pass on to others,
>> that would be great too.
>
> HTTPS on its own does not mean much, if it is using insecure (less
secure)
> algorithms.  RC4 and DES are no longer considered secure, but there are
> websites and browsers that still use them in preference to more secure
> cryptos.  Some elliptic curves based algorithms peddled by NIST at the
behest
> of NSA are now considered suspicious, if not downright compromised by
design.

>   http://safecurves.cr.yp.to/

Neat link.  Lots of red stuff, which I assume is bad.  ;-)  Will dive
into that more later on.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)