Matti Nykyri wrote:
> On Apr 17, 2014, at 23:17, walt <w41...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 04/17/2014 11:43 AM, Matti Nykyri wrote:
>>> I don't know much about the secp521r1 curve or about its security.
>>> You can list all available curves by:
>>>
>>> openssl ecparam -list_curves
>> I don't either, but I hope this guy does :)
>>
>> http://www.math.columbia.edu/~woit/wordpress/?p=6243
> Good article :) The overall picture I had about EC is more or less the same
> as described in the article. But you always have to make a threat analysis
> and it depends on the private data you are protecting. By definition any
> private data will be disclosed given enough time and resources.
>
> So if your adversary is NSA... Well protecting the communication of regular
> internet user and your production server with SSL and x509 certificates will
> just not secure the content. I'm 100% certain that NSA has access to at least
> one CA root certificates private keys. With those they can do a
> man-in-the-middle attack that the regular user will most likely never spot.
>
> I my own security model I'm protected from NSA by the fact that it will
> disappear in the flow of all other traffic because NSA is not stealing credit
> card numbers :) ECDSA with ECDHE is fast and secure according to public
> sources.
>
> The problem is totally different if you are protecting the secrets of your
> company that are within the interest of NSA. I'm lucky I don't have to try
> that.

On this topic about NSA, I read a article that claimed the NSA was able
to view httpS traffic live or close to live since they had some backdoor
access keys.  I don't recall where the article was but since this is a
knowledgeable bunch, is this true?  If for example I go to my bank or
credit card website, can they "easily" view that traffic?

One reason this jumped out at me was that in the article, it was claimed
that a group of people was going to rewrite the code/software/whatever
for httpS and other encryption tools.

If someone has links to such info for me to read and pass on to others,
that would be great too.

Thanks.

Dale

:-)  :-)

--
I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how
you interpreted my words!