On Saturday 16 Aug 2014 17:13:29 behrouz khosravi wrote:
> Hi. I have been using the gnome for some time(in other distro's) and I
> had no complaint. However after switching to gentoo I installed i3 and
> it is very great.
> I really love it, but I was considering to install a DE too.
> Before jumping to gnome I wanted to evaluate my options.
> I have heard that " It is a matter of taste" but think it is not all
> of the story.
> I have heard that the gentoo community is more inclined toward KDE
> too. So KDE must have some advantage that makes people like it's
> taste!
> So can you please tell me why you have chosen a specific DE and not
> the other options ?
> thanks.

I use Enlightenment (e17) almost exclusively these days, having spent many
years running a heavily modified Fluxbox.  I prefer e17 because it probably is
even more light footed than fluxbox, but more modern in look and feel, without
the need to manually configure everything.  A few gadgets on the desktop,
favourite apps launched by right click menu and my personal choice of
wallpapers and shelf configuration, is all I needed to change from the default
set up.

On a couple of PCs mostly used by other users, I have installed KDE, because
it is better suited to their needs.  They want/like/use a lot of plasmoids and
don't mind waiting longer for the desktop to launch.  They are also keen on
the many KDE applications.  I preferred KDE3 to the current KDE4 with its
semantic desktop and KDEPIM slow-speed-train-crash, but clearly I don't have
an audience with current KDE devs to expect them to listen to my desires. :p

I have used briefly Gnome and the Cinnamon desktop on Linux Mint and Ubuntu's
Unity, but I didn't appreciate any of them.  Probably a matter of personal
taste I guess, Gnome and derivatives never sat comfortably with me.  Somehow I
found that their settings were a bit obscure or removed from the end user.

XFCE, LXDE and openbox were lightweight and fast, but for the little I tried
them out I found them somewhat depleted of features and functionality.
Perhaps if I persevered I would have grown to like them more.

So, it's e17 for me, but YMMV.  :-)

--
Regards,
Mick