On Mon, 1 Sep 2014 09:51:10 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> The ISO image has to be created as a "hybrid" image for this to work.

I'm pretty sure the Gentoo minimal image is - I've been dd'ing the iso's for
quite a while now, and it's always been a simple case of download, verify, dd.

Besides, running `fdisk -l /path/to/image.iso` does return a partition list
(of one NTFS/Hidden partition) for me, using a standard unmodified minimal
iso.

It's certainly worth noting, but in this case, OP is using a minimal image
(install-amd64-minimal-20140828.iso).

--
wraeth