Hello,

I'm rather new to hacking ebuilds. I have read most every doc
I can find on the subject. One thing I'm looking for is a post-build
document that shows me the path/name of everything built.

So for mesos-0.20.0 it seems to be:

/var/db/pkg/sys-cluster/mesos-0.20.0/CONTENTS

For some other packages, they seems to be quit a lot under
/var/tmp/portage/

Some of the information I'm looking for is in
/var/log/elog/

Other places to look? Mesos generates a lot of *.html file that
I'm speculating are general purpose setup interfaces for configuring
and controlling the various code components. It this typical of
Apache codes?

I feel like I'm missing the 'big picture' on where one
looks to find all these files that some packages generate.
On new software, I guess I have  to look at them all to
figure out a runtime environment setup? I feel linke I'm on
Safari (an actual dangerous animal hunting trip) but there
has been no briefing. I feel hung_over, naked and without
compass. I feel like I need a bottle of whisky to just
start "winging it"......

Understand what I'm doing: I have stable tree ebuilds,
Overlays of various quality and then there are my
ebuilds (ugly hacks) in /usr/local/portage that I'm trying
to get my arms around with a weak comprehension of what to
expect.

I also have read about Blueness efforts:
"RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB" on the dev list
and that just leaves me scratching (more than my head).

Some discussion, suggested reading, and guidance would be welcome
as the structure(s) seem a wee bit "loose" if not inconsistent, to me......

How much does EAPI-<number> affect what a package build does? Where do I
have I go before compiling code (typically) in the unpacked sourcecode
to see/determine what is going to get build and where it will install,
as this is not strictly controlled by the ebuilds...... How much is
controlled by the package codes and how much by setting in the Gentoo
build settings?

Most of the docs I've read, would make sense, if I knew what I was
specifically suppose to do. Learning the semantics of all of this
"echo_system" does not seem straightforward. The individual codes
are not the problem, as I can read and discern most codes. It's the
WISDOM of what goes WHERE and WHY that seems; fleeting to me.

lost & curious,
James