On 09/11/2014 12:20 PM, James wrote:
> Yes, I've been all over this. It's onto much of the Apache clustering
> codes that are not simple to configure in the ebuild. Besides the raw
> packege codes, like mesos, spark, scala, cassandra, etc there are a
> mulitude of fast moving codes written in Java and Python that need to
> be tested. Java is not difficult, but voluminous. Every problem
> somebody encouters, gets solved by some java "bolt on" code, rather
> than fixing/extending the main (mesos) sourcecode. As an old C hack,
> it's a tough pill to swallow, but I'm pursing this as best I can. I
> sure feel empathy for the java herd, but hey, now we are doing away
> with herds?
Part of the problem with a lot of open source Java projects is that they
*require* Oracle's Java build, and installing Oracle's JDK in Gentoo is
not a simple 'emerge <package_name_here>'.
> That said, I'm a bit stressed about 'maven'. We only have maven.bin.
> Much is dependant on it and java. For many reasons, java is not well
> supported in Gentoo. I just hope, I do not have to leave the Gentoo
> distro; because much of what I need (clustering) is java critical. You
> think I can build a gentoo cluster based on these?
I'm not a huge fan of Maven - it's a massive, complex morass. That said,
I can look into building it.
> Does the Gentoo dev team operate a robust gentoo cluster for gentoo
> development needs? Should they?
What would it do? Other than continuous integration, I can't see much
use (although I'm not a dev, so that's not saying much).
> Clusters that perform best are built on mesos/spark.
I can't remember the last time I saw Mesos/Spark on the TOP500 list...
but also, they're both young projects.
> But now, I need robust clustering and from the open source research
> work I have performed, Apache is the Only viable choice. Ubuntu has
> it. Debian Has it. RedHat has it. CentOS has it, but, we cannot
> (willnot?) sustain Apache style clustering at Gentoo because ? (dunno
> the reason; nothing seems plausible).
>From what I can tell, the reason is that it is not worth anyone's time
to do the massive amount of development and maintainence for something
that they won't benefit from.
> Hell, I'd even be willing to pay for a java support to develop the
> java (sourcecode) based tools; but in the past that idea has been very
> frowned up by the gentoo "think tank".
If I wasn't in school I'd be all over this...

Anyways, I'll try and look at Maven. Not making any promises; I'm pretty
busy right now.

Alec