Alec Ten Harmsel <alec <at> alectenharmsel.com> writes:

> Lastly, if you throw this in a publicly-accessible git repo I'll try and
> help, even though I took a look at mesos and it seems like it'll be hard
> because they bundle libraries with it and have made a couple other
> (imnho) bad decisions.

I biggest obstacle for all of the Apache clustering sofwares I want
to try, is java and other codes seem to be central to their
offerings.

For example "maven" is becoming critical for many codes [1].
In fact we are loosing jruby because nobody has the requisite
skills? [2].

Hacking and slashing through ebuilds is not difficult. I just
have inate tendencies to that cause me to believe the path
should be 'well worn" with ample examples; but alas I do not
think that is the gentoo way, particular with how fast things
are moving on new codes and the entire linux echo_systems.

Why not champion maven and jruby so many can benefit?
Can maven be built from sources, as I see it is currently
in binary form maven-bin ?

Maven is an obstacle that I'm not certain I can go around
if I am to continue down the apache cluster pathway......

<snip-dev>
# Mask jruby 1.6.x for removal in 30 days.
# on ruby 1.8.  Many packages are no longer compatible with its
# syntax, and security support for ruby 1.8 has stopped. This
# incompatibility now has reached central packages like rubygems so we
# have decided to remove jruby 1.6 now.  jruby upstream has released
# the 1.7.x series some time ago, but unfortunately we only have a
# masked version that has too many issues to unmask. Please let us
# know if you know java and ruby and want to help out here:

hth,
James

[1] http://maven.apache.org/

[2]