On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Grant Edwards
<grant.b.edwa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The only Linux systems where I care about boot time are embedded
> systems which are never going to have the resources needed to run
> systemd.

How about containers?  When I launch mariadb I'd prefer that it happen
in milliseconds, not tens of seconds.  That includes setting up
interfaces, populating /dev, getting an ip, launching ssh, syslog,
etc, and so on, oh, and mariadb.

> The other thing I keep hearing from systemd proponents is stuff about
> how it allows you to parallelize startup.  I don't _want_ stuff
> starting up in parallel -- that just makes it all the more difficult
> to troubleshoot problems.  I want things to start up one at a time, in
> a determined order.

I hope you aren't running openrc then.  It doesn't launch in a
predetermined order.

I will agree that you get far more race conditions than you do with
openrc even with parallel startup, since processes start much more
quickly.

--
Rich