Michael,

I tried out paludis a few months ago. I do find Portage can be a bit slow.
So I thought great - a "C++ version of Portage"!

However cave does do much stricter checking and has much more verbose
output than emerge (way too much - like eix I guess). I really gave it my
best shot to migrate over fully - but had to bale after a couple of weeks
of trying to get one clean upgrade cycle. Speed wise - cave was slower than
emerge (with no backtracking). So regular day-to-day installs would be
quite slow (with the package tree being churned over multiple times).

I'm sure I'll give it another go at some point... Maybe I was simply using
it wrong... But boy it felt like it was for geeks who think "Portage is way
too easy - give me something much harder"!!

Robert

--

All the best,
Robert