On 15/03/2015 00:34, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 6:08 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckin...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> But let's consider this: what level of chaos would arise if @system were
>> dropped? Surely the problem of tracking all deps would get so out of
>> hand so quickly, that @system or something equivalent would immediately
>> be reinstated?
>>

> I don't think so.  Why don't other distros have this problem with
> their source packages?  They actually have more packages to deal with
> since they don't have use flags and often split what is one Gentoo
> package into many packages.

Other distros DO have the same problem, just framed differently.

On Debian you need build-essential whether the source package declares
it or not. Now what is build-essential, if not @system cloaked
differently? Yes, @system has much more stuff in it and even some cruft,
but both things fulfil the same function.

In my experience the general approach from a binary distro is to tell
you to install build-essential or equivalent if you want to compile
stuff. If you forget, there's Google to remind you

> You can still have virtuals when it makes sense to have them.
> Automation might be an option in some cases as well.  If a package
> uses gcc and python, there is no reason that this couldn't be two
> virtuals in addition to whatever specific libraries it requires.  You
> could also have virtuals for posix and such.
>
> We would also separate virtuals intended for user convenience (give me
> a useful system, maybe including screen and ssh and such) from
> virtuals intended for dependencies (you don't need screen and ssh to
> build everything on the system).  There is no reason that the default
> install has to start with only the core dependencies, or with an empty
> world set.

I don't follow. How do virtuals connect with @system?
Are you suggesting separating @system out into several more narrowly
defined virtuals?

I'm undecided on the wisdom of that approach. My own preference would be
to replace @system with several regular sets

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckin...@gmail.com