On Sunday 05 April 2015 21:05:15 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 5. April 2015, 19:03:43 schrieb Peter Humphrey:
> > On Sunday 05 April 2015 18:29:05 Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > > Do you see anything that is actually broken?
> >
> > Apart from perl-cleaner and portage? Emerge exiting silently after being
> > given a list of packages to emerge doesn't exactly seem like normal
> > behaviour to me. It was told "emerge -v1 ...[list of packages]" as in
> > perl- cleaner's usual behaviour. No ifs, no buts - just do it.
>
> Very strange. Portage does to my best knowledge not use perl and not even
> depend on it.

After a bit more thought I remember that GCC was upgraded last week, and the
change log referred to many bug fixes. (That's what my memory tells me,
anyway, but I can't see where I found it now.) So I decided to emerge -e
world, which I did in two passes: first emerge -eB world, then boot to a
minimal system and emerge -eK world. Then etc-update and reboot, compile the
kernel again (gentoo-sources-3.18.9) and a final reboot.

Maybe something went wrong in the middle of that, so I've set off the same
process again. It'll take a few hours, so I'm off to bed again meanwhile -
it's 04:30 here.

--
Rgds
Peter.